Dear Parents and Carers,
On the 26th and 27th March Churchill Community College was visited by Ofsted Inspectors to inspect our college. We are delighted to share the outcome of this inspection, where following two days of visits to lessons, meetings with staff and discussions with students they have identified some of the many strengths of our college:
- The Ofsted team stated that leaders have a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the college and have confirmed that the teaching and results our students achieve are good.
- Ofsted recognised how staff are highly ambitious for all of our students and the college has an ethos in which students are encouraged to reach their potential, in a nurturing and inclusive way.
- Based on lesson observations and reviewing of students work, they recognised that students in college are making good progress from their starting points across a range of subjects.
- Relationships between staff and students are very positive. Students are confident, polite and courteous to one another and to staff. Students behave well and show positive attitudes to learning.
- The curriculum is broad and balanced and constantly evolving to meet the changing needs of students.
- There is strong support for students with special educational needs and/or disabilities and this helps them make good progress.
- Students’ personal development, behaviour and welfare are strong. Students generally conduct themselves very well in lessons and around the college. Students benefit from very strong careers information, advice and guidance.
- About our Sixth Form they said that as a result of effective leadership and good teaching, sixth-form provision and outcomes are good.
The Ofsted team have left us with areas to work on to further improve our college:
- Continue to improve the progress and outcomes of all students in the college, including those of students in the sixth form,
- Continue to improve students’ attendance and reduce persistent absence.
Our full report can be found on the college website which provides greater detail about their inspection judgements, we hope you enjoy reading the full report.
The overall grade for this inspection is GOOD, which is different to our inspection in 2014 where the grading was outstanding. We are delighted that we are a good school as so much has changed in terms of the national picture for schools during the five years between our two inspections, the Ofsted inspection team left us with a comment that the college would be outstanding again. This is certainly our ambition for our students, staff, college and community. We are convinced that with the ongoing support from you as parents of our students we will again be able to share an outstanding grading for Churchill Community College. During this time please be assured that we will continue to do our very best to support all of our students to be the very best and to make maximum progress to achieve the best possible exam results.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
Tracey Booth David Baldwin Jill Huxtable
Chair of Governors Headteacher Head of School