Dear Parents / Carers,
Schools can receive additional funding for any students who are adopted from care or left care under a Special Guardianship Order or Child Arrangement Order (Residence Order). Additionally, students who have parents within the Armed Forces are also eligible for additional funding. This funding can be used to provide additional resources to help raise attainment.
Pupils that fall into the adoption / care service category that are eligible include those:
- that were adopted from care
- that left care under a Special Guardianship Order
- that left care under a Residential Order on or after 14 October 1991 (under the Children Act 1989);
- that left care through a Child Arrangement Order
Pupils that fall into the family of armed forces service category that are eligible include those who:
- has one of their parents serving in the regular armed forces
- have been registered as a ‘service child’ on the January school census at any point since 2014, see footnote 1
- one of their parents has died whilst serving in the armed forces and the pupil receives a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or the War Pensions Scheme
- has a parent who is on full commitment as part of the full time reserve service are classed as service children
If your child is eligible and you would like the school to receive this funding, then you need to let the school know.
To enable the school to claim the funding, you will need to inform the school about your child and provide supporting evidence, for example, show the school the original Adoption (Court) Order. As this document will contain sensitive information, it is acceptable to photocopy the original document. The documentation will be stored confidentially in line with GDPR regulations.
You will need to self-declare by 31st January 2020 and the information will be recorded on the next school census. This will then trigger the payment of the additional funding to the school. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Under the revised Statutory Guidance that came into effect in September 2018, if your child falls into any of the above adoption / care service categories, or was adopted from abroad (unfortunately not eligible for pupil premium plus currently), you are entitled to access advice and information from the Designated Teacher in school or The Virtual School, who can be contacted via email: